Monday, November 23, 2009

he's gettin' there...

Today was a better day. J was moved out of ICU today and into a regular room. Unfortunately it is not a private room which at this hospital, I was sort of expecting :( Even though he has a roommate (who is suffering from the after affects of appendicitis and has had some moaning/groaning pain), it is still quieter and darker than the ICU and he has been able to get some nice deep sleep/naps during the afternoon and evening and if that continues tonight I know he will feel so much better tomorrow.

He was able to see the Almost Teenager and Miss Priss today. That really lifted his spirits and made him so happy. Although I had tried to prepare her for what J would look like in the hospital, M.P. was a little freaked out when she saw him, she didn't want to get too close at first, but eventually warmed up to him and gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek before she left.

I was really unhappy that I had to leave him alone tonight, but since it is a shared room with another male, they wouldn't let me stay. Not to mention the room is small and cramped so there really was no place for me to stay, but I hated to leave him there, especially since now the nurses aren't as readily available as they were in ICU if he needed anything.

That is one thing I will say about the ICU, loud and bright and all, they were EXCELLENT nurses and took great care of him, I was very pleased with everything that they did for him. I just pray pray pray that the new nursing staff can provide him with the same service and care that he needs at this point. Please God, continue to look over them as they care for J.

Also - Jason's bladder and kidney are having some trouble jump starting back to normal working order which has been a huge frustration for him today. This is one thing that the nurses are really urging him to do and have been trying to get him to drink a lot of water so that he can get things flowing. He wasn't able to this evening which upset him but hopefully things will get going maybe tonight and tomorrow. Of all the things I have been praying for, PEE is the big one today, I pray for the PEE to come and give him some relief!

Tomorrow it is my goal to use and flex my insurance card muscle and get us into a private room. I don't mean to sound ugly or snobby, because I am GRATEFUL to this hospital, but I know we are one of very few people with insurance in that place and I want to use it for J to have a private room for some private recovery. Wish me luck.

I need some sleep, long day at the hospital tomorrow.

p.s. J received so many text messages and emails from friends and coworkers that he was finally able to read today and it really made him feel good. Thank you again to everyone who has called, written, and sent us prayers and messages - they have brightened our days.

Liz

2 comments:

  1. So relieved to hear that Jason is out of ICU! Heck ya, use that insurance card muscle and get your man the private room
    he's paid for twice over out of his monthly paychecks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Liz! I can't believe all of this! I'm so glad you guys are back home and can rest comfortably! You guys do have so much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving day! wow! I'm so glad I found your blog. Now I can keep up with you guys and how Jason is progressing! I can't believe he has such a long recovery ahead but that's were those wonderful paid sick days will come in handy! So thankful you guys are going to be ok! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete