Sunday, February 14, 2010

the un-romantic valentine's day..

So it's no surprise that most men, J included, are not particularly fond of Valentine's Day. Hallmark holiday, overpriced flowers, crowded restaurants, yadda yadda. I can't say that I disagree with all of that. I'm waaay too practical for most of that, and actually think the unexpected is more romantic than the planned valentines-y stuff.

I recently read a post over on Prudent Baby about their Un-Romantic Valentine's tradition. I thought it would be nice and fun for us to do something different and not the typical dinner and movie. So I googled, you know me. Somehow I stumbled upon this place, Quiggley's Clayhouse, that had a 'soiree' planned. We had dinner and dessert catered in (Saltgrass Steakhouse), BYOB (yummy German beer!), and we painted pottery (I made a fun serving platter and a trivet, and J made a coffee mug) and then J tried throwing clay on the pottery wheel - just like Demi Moore in Ghost - haha! It turned out to be SO FUN! We sat at a table with two other couples, all worked on our projects, got to know each other, ate and drank. It was a great date, and surprisingly enough, a little romantic :)

This will be our new tradition, J has already suggested the shooting range next year, umm I think I might need to see what other good options I can locate before then.

The girls got little Valentine's treats and just loved them :) It was a great weekend FULL of love :)

**Update - just before I went to sleep I found my Valentine on the nightstand, J made a heart shaped box with 30+ year old Lego blocks (that he's had since he was a kid) and inside was a handwritten note on plain white paper. He wrote the sweetest letter and didn't even have to rely on Hallmark for the words :) It was honestly the best Valentine i've ever gotten. **LOVE**

No comments:

Post a Comment